Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Follow us on Twitter @2CLumi.

Welcome to Second Chances: the LUMI Mega-Site. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls, participating in chat etc.

Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Locked Topic
Day's First Gay Kiss Sparks Controversy; SOD 3/20 Issue
Topic Started: Thursday Mar 8 2012, 06:00 PM (521 Views)
luvinglumi
Member Avatar
♥ Lumi is Love ♥
SOD: Day's First Gay Kiss Sparks Controversy

Will's first gay kiss on February 23 has generated a passionate response from Days of Our Lives viewers, who are divided in their opinion.

"Been a longtime viewer of Days for over 50 [years]....the day [two] men kissed could be my last episode. I realize that in today's times people think that it is all right, but [it's] pretty sickening to me, " D.S emailed Digest

In sharp contrast, M.R. wrote to us saying, "I have never been so proud of the show as I was when I watched Will's first kiss with another guy. That was the most intense and real depiction I have seen for a 'first kiss' on datime between two guys. Thank you, DAYS, for showing how it is and for not watering it down. Will has tried to hide himself away for his entire life. I am so glad he finally acted on his true feelings and I cannot wait to continue watching him come to terms with being gay. Chandler Massey [Will] has been amazing with this story thus far!

The show is also getting feedback from fans. Co-Head Writer Marlene McPherson tells Digest, "We are hearing [from] fans that they could relate to what Will is going through and they are glad we are taking a chance to portray something in such a realistic way."

Deidre Hall (Marlena) adds, "With the possible exception of the 'possession' storyline, I have never been so besieged by fans as I was this weekend wanting to talk about the Friday show and Will's confession about kissing a man. We had shot the scenes so long ago I had forgotten that I literally held my breath as Chandler played the scene. I was stopped by fans, actors, and even a photographer who wanted to tell me he wept during the scenes. I wrote a thank you to the fans for supporting the storyline on my Facebook page. Over 200 posts talked about what the Friday scenes meant to them. Well done, everyone!"
Posted Image

Online Profile Goto Top

Kari936
Member Avatar
Lumi Masters
"Controversy" seems like a bit of stretch but I guess it is all about the drama/headlines ,eh. I can't imagine a soap viewer of 50 years would be offended by a gay kiss but still watch a show where there is rape, murder, adultery, and lies.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Celebsarniel
Member Avatar
I'm a die hard Lumi/Bryli fan
There's nothing to be disgusted of to watch two guys kiss.. i love gay people... <3 i support this gaymance 110% ..

what's way more disgusting and got me stop watching the show was when the show put the rapist with his victim.. some people need to learn that.. rape is not romance
Offline Profile Goto Top

Lumidestiny
Member Avatar
Defender of all things LUMI
I know I would rather watch a show depict a teenager coming out as gay and 2 young men sharing a kiss than a rapist torturing his victim for 5 long years any day of the week.
Posted Image
Winter, Spring, Summer, Fall
Sami is Lucas's girl through it all.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Norma
Member Avatar
Keeper of the Clips
^^exactly.
Posted Image

“To what was lost... to what was found... to what will always be..." ~ Jack Deveraux
Online Profile Goto Top

..ally..
Member Avatar
Lumi Senior
I found those scenes really powerful.

And I remember seeing a tweet that was sent to Ali telling her that they was no longer a Days fan since they made Will gay :ire: and would only watch Ali on BL.

Posted Image

*Author's Note* No stuffed animals, pets or any other objects were harmed or used in making this post. This post was created at the sole discretion of me.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Kazz
Member Avatar
Lumi Masters
I'm thinking there is an intentional exaggeration of the "controversy". From what I've seen the viewer response has been overwhelmingly positive.
Offline Profile Goto Top

lumirocks
Lumi Senior
me too Norma and Lumidestiny!
Offline Profile Goto Top

Medea
Member Avatar
Lumi Ph.D.
I was pleasantly surprised by how little negative reaction I saw to the kiss.

And I'm impressed that that writer has been watching Days for 50 years when it's "only" been around since 1965.
Do you remember what she told him? She took her lover’s hand, and she said, “just because something is intangible doesn't mean that it's not real.” Lucas, no matter what happens, no matter what we’ve been through, no matter what I say, you will always be in my heart. -- Sami Brady, November 2007
Offline Profile Goto Top

KimberlyAnn
Member Avatar
Lumi Senior
I am glad Days is getting a large amount of support. I really feel like the homophobia trend is going down in today's world and I couldn't be happier. I'm really passionate about equal rights so Days bringing in this storyline, couldn't be better.

Plus, with this storyline, Days can afford to loose some viewers because I know some people will tune in now just to watch Will and Sonny. I've seen people talk of it already.
Posted Image
Offline Profile Goto Top

Norma
Member Avatar
Keeper of the Clips
Sadly bigotry and ignorance are not confined to any specific group of people.
Posted Image

“To what was lost... to what was found... to what will always be..." ~ Jack Deveraux
Online Profile Goto Top

CJStake
Member Avatar
Lumi B.A.
People can choose to watch or not watch what they want. I don't really care. I also don't care if someone I don't know and has no effect on me don't like minorities including gays.

The US is a free country. As long as they are not trying to hurt people or take away their freedoms, let them not watch. We don't have to agree. We just have to live with each other.

I think people who are just as nasty to the person who spew hatred are just as bad.
Edited by CJStake, Friday Mar 9 2012, 12:09 AM.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

It either spell Lumi in Chinese... or loveboat.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Norma
Member Avatar
Keeper of the Clips
Exactly. Live and let live, and allow everyone to have equal rights.
Posted Image

Online Profile Goto Top

tje8375
Member Avatar
Lumi Ph.D.
Kari936
Thursday Mar 8 2012, 06:25 PM
"Controversy" seems like a bit of stretch but I guess it is all about the drama/headlines ,eh. I can't imagine a soap viewer of 50 years would be offended by a gay kiss but still watch a show where there is rape, murder, adultery, and lies.
Here, here! Or is it hear, hear for equal rights to love.
Edited by tje8375, Friday Mar 9 2012, 12:28 AM.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Thank you Days for bringing back Bryan Dattilo as Lucas Horton!
His fans are ecstatic about his return!
Offline Profile Goto Top

luvinglumi
Member Avatar
♥ Lumi is Love ♥
ITA CJ....people might not like it, so what, they have an option to turn it off, others will be turning it on. I just can't see how someone that might be watching this show for so long and has put up with not only the devil posessing the star of the show but with rape, violence, adultery, killings and all sorts of other things can actually say they will turn off the tv because she sees two guys kiss....
Posted Image

Online Profile Goto Top

ddmtex
Member Avatar
Lumi B.A.
At least Days is back to being brave and has a story line that tackles an important issue.
Posted Image
Offline Profile Goto Top

luvinglumi
Member Avatar
♥ Lumi is Love ♥
^^and they seem to be handling it the right way, unlike other social issues they've had that they have botched horribly.
Posted Image

Online Profile Goto Top

Norma
Member Avatar
Keeper of the Clips
Agreed. I haven't had any major issues with the way the storyline has roled out. My best friend is gay and he came out to me when he was not much older than Will. The lashing out and confusion is hauntingly familiar for me to watch.
Posted Image

Online Profile Goto Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Join the millions that use us for their forum communities. Create your own forum today.
Learn More · Register for Free
« Previous Topic · General · Next Topic »
Locked Topic